We understand that looking for the right modular and prefab home builder is hard work. You need to sift through all the information online and discern the credible ones. However, it can be a near-impossible task with all the misleading information riddling the web. This is why we’ve put together an article showcasing the top modular & prefab home builders who specifically serve in the state of Washington. If you plan to build a modular or prefab home in the state, this article is useful.
We will look at the top builders and discuss their advantages and disadvantages, as well as what their previous clients say about them. This is crucial information that can help you decide which builder to go with. Before anything, let’s look into why you should build a house in Washington in the first place.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Build a Prefab or Modular Home in Washington?
- 2 How Long Does it Take to Build a Modular/Prefab Home in Washington?
- 3 Can I Finance a Prefabricated or Modular Home in Washington?
- 4 How Much Does it Typically Cost to Build a Prefab or Modular Home in Washington?
- 5 Who Are The Best Modular & Prefab Home Builders in Washington?
- 5.1 Gillespie Homes
- 5.2 Wolf Industries, Inc.
- 5.3 Detray’s Custom Housing
- 5.4 Timberland Homes
- 5.5 Clayton Homes
- 6 Conclusion
Why Build a Prefab or Modular Home in Washington?
While there are a couple of benefits that can convince you to build a home in Washington, it all boils down to preference. First, you must ask what your “must haves” are for the state where you will settle in. For example, are you looking for beautiful natural scenery? How about a strong economy? Maybe you’re looking for educational institutions with a proven track record. It could be other things like the climate and culture.
With stunning natural landscapes, beautiful beaches, a strong economy, and friendly people, Washington has much to offer. This makes the state a great choice for building a prefab or modular home.
Living in Washington also comes with its own set of challenges that you might want to consider. This includes the high cost of living, especially in urban areas. Another critical consideration is the climate. Certain areas of Washington are known for frequent rain and cloudy skies. Winter conditions can be extreme, with heavy snowfall in areas near the mountains. This is why building a prefab or modular home with a reputable builder is crucial. For a better understanding of the differences between a prefab and a modular home, you can take a look at our Prefab vs. modular homes article.
How Long Does it Take to Build a Modular/Prefab Home in Washington?
Prefabricated or modular homes can be completed in as little as four to six months, depending on various factors. These factors include the size of your home, whether you are building a template plan or a custom floor plan, and how long it takes to prepare the foundation.
If you use a preset floor plan, the process can take as little as 4 months. However, custom designs allow for more personalization and ensure that your home suits your needs. This is an important thing to consider.
Can I Finance a Prefabricated or Modular Home in Washington?
Yes, you can get financing for a prefab or modular home from various options. This includes government-backed loans, financing from the manufacturer, or conventional mortgages. Most banks treat prefab and modular homes like traditional homes in terms of financing.
Receive Quotes from Multiple Barndominium Builders & Kit Providers Near You Today (It's Free!)
Fill in this 1-minute form below and receive estimates for your project without having to find them yourself! Let them do the work.
How Much Does it Typically Cost to Build a Prefab or Modular Home in Washington?
The cost of building a prefab or modular home in Washington can vary widely. The overall cost of a construction project depends on several factors, including the size, design, and features of the prefab or modular home. Labor and material costs can also vary in different regions of Washington. A rough estimate of the cost of a prefab and modular home typically ranges from $50 – $100 per square foot. The average cost per square foot of a traditional single-family house in Washington is around $141 per square foot. That is a huge saving considering how much it can add up.
Speaking of savings, you can also look into barndominiums in Washington if you’re looking for affordable alternatives to building your dream home.
Are There Any Special Building Regulations I Should Be Aware Of?
Building regulations are put in place to ensure the safety and security of buildings. The state of Washington follows the 2018 International Residential Code. The 2021 editions of the model codes with Washington State Amendments will take effect on July 1, 2023. These amendments are state-written state-specific codes. You can access the base model code, which is adopted by reference at the permit counter of your local building department.
We recommend consulting a professional to ensure your build complies with all regulations specific to your property’s location.
Who Are The Best Modular & Prefab Home Builders in Washington?
- Their customization options allow you to build your home exactly as you want. They also have a diverse collection of flexible floor plans that range from 578 square feet to 3,000 square feet.
- Offers “turn-key” services that will cover your home’s entire building process. This makes the project effortless and stress-free.
- Offers MH Advantage financing where a downpayment can be as low as 3%, low-interest rates, and a traditional 30-year financing turn.
- While they have a wide variety of floor plans available, the pricing information of these floor plans is not disclosed.
What are their clients saying?
“We purchased the pinehurst 2510 customized it into a 2 bedroom. We are definitely loving our new home.There are certain things we would redo or change but Dustin and all the staff have been great to work with.”Verness Rambo. Source: Google Reviews
“I’m so glad we waited to purchase a new home. We chose Gillespie Homes and we are so glad we did. No hassles just honestly. And touring the Kit Custom Homes factory in Caldwell Idaho was absolutely amazing. We are waiting for the Stay at Home order to be lifted so we can finally start the site work to get our new home. Best Manufactured Home Business in our area. Thank you Heath and Dustin for everything”– Ana R. Source: Google Reviews.
Gillespie Homes has a well-established reputation for providing high-quality homes for their clients. Not only do they sell homes, but they also help with financing and insurance for the homes they sell. Partnered with one of the top manufactured home builders today, Kit HomeBuilders West, you can be sure that working with Gillespie Homes will be a smooth and convenient experience.
Wolf Industries, Inc.
- Builds custom and modular tiny homes focusing on quality rather than quantity.
- Offers great selections for affordable housing that includes all the features of a large home.
- Their homes are built to exceed the International Residential Code and International Building Code standards.
- Turn-key service. They manage your project in every step of the process, including permitting and site work; great news for those who want a hassle-free experience.
- Delivery within a 1,000-mile radius of their location in Battle Ground, Washington. Besides Washington, they deliver to Oregon, California, Idaho, and Utah.
- Does not offer in-house financing. However, they can refer you to lenders if you ever need help with financing.
- Their homes do not include land. You need to acquire a lot before they can quote your project.
What are their clients saying?
“I am highly pleased with my new home built by Wolf Industries. The ADU was built in record time. I have always wanted to live in a tiny home and this one is perfect for me. The customer service is top notch. From Derek, Kelsey and Jason, and all their employees they all made me feel like I was the most important customer. I had a few issues after I took possession and these were fixed in record time with communication everyday. Thank you Wolf Industries for making my dream come true.”– Jeri DiFuria. Source: Google Reviews.
“We have been blessed to have family living in the ADU for a year now and the whole process from ordering with Derek to installation by Nick and team to set up and support by Mike and team went well. We look forward to many years of enjoying our Wolf tiny home!”– Bill Meadowcroft. Source: Google Reviews.
An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) would be an excellent investment for those who already have a home. You can rent it out or use it as a guest house for visiting friends and family. A tiny house can be a great affordable option for first-time home buyers. This is perfect considering the rising real estate prices. Wolf Industries is a reliable builder if you ever decide to build a stunning prefab tiny home.
Detray’s Custom Housing
- Allows custom housing. You can personalize your home in hundreds of ways. All floor plans can be modified to maximize the use of the land. Windows can be placed in strategic locations in favor of outside views.
- Turn-key service that goes the extra mile. They can manage the entire project, including finding you a site to build your new home.
- They can help with home financing. A professional loan officer can help you decide which financing program works best for your needs.
- A locally owned and operated company with a great BBB rating.
- Pricing information is not available on their website. However, this is because the base price includes the delivery cost. They need a site address to provide a quote.
What are their clients saying?
“My Mother and I had the pleasure of Working with Lora at Detrays. Lora is exceptional!!! She has made the Home buying process Easy and Fun! I would recommend Lora at Detrays to anyone looking for a Manufactured home 1000 times over. Lora is a true Professional and extremely knowledgeable and Honest about every step of the process.”– David Cerio. Source: Google Reviews.
The smugglers pantry… OMG! Amazing!”– Darlene Stewart. Source: Google Reviews.
Detray’s has been around since 1962. A stable family-owned company that has lasted that long is a good indicator of the quality of the prefab and modular homes they produce. In addition, they also take pride in their award-winning service and outstanding customer service. If you are in Washington or anywhere in the Greater Northwest, it is worth considering building a home with Detray’s.
- A custom modular home builder that can build your house exactly how you want. A representative from their Model Home Center will meet with you to discuss the features and finishes of your home.
- Offers a 15-year structural warranty for their homes.
- Their modular home building process has been refined over the last forty years, assuring high-quality material and craftsmanship.
- Highly competitive pricing.
- They can’t finance your home project. However, they have a list of lenders familiar with their contracts. This makes financing easier.
What are their clients saying?
“Don helped me so much to pick the modular home design and explained step by step the process from plat to a finished product detail. I like the quality and 40 years of building and transporting the homes even to Alaska!!!”– Marta Belo. Source: Google Reviews.
“Don Shelton is a true professional in every sense. It is evident that his main goal is to make sure the customer is happy. He takes the time to listen and find out what is important to the buyer. My wife and I could not be happier with the overall experience of dealing with Don and Timberland homes.”– Timothy Marker. Source: Google Reviews.
You might find them interesting if you don’t want to design a floor plan from scratch. Timberland Homes has a wide selection of floor plans you can choose from and make modifications as you please. You can browse contemporary home designs well as tiny homes and two-story homes. The best part is that the floor plans featured on their website have an estimated price. You are sure to find a floor plan that is perfect for you and your family.
- A wide variety of floor plan designs. You will find countless designs that you can incorporate into your home.
- They offer customization to make your prefab home uniquely yours. This includes color, flooring, cabinet colors, and more.
- They assist in site preparation. A consultant will provide information on how to prep your site and work with your contractor to ensure the site is ready for the assembly of your prefab home.
- Availability. Clayton Homes has around 350 offices nationwide, including Washington.
- Does not offer in-house financing. Clayton Homes has no financing options. This means you would have to look for third-party financing institutions if you plan on financing your project.
What are their clients saying?
“Very impressed by the style, build and layout of these homes. 95% of these took my breath away. The features, ideas and thought put into these homes are just jaw dropping. Compare them to a house and it’s almost a no brainer for me. When I inquired about certain models to show the “man” the sales guy wasn’t pushy at all. Gave me what I asked for and understood I was just looking for ideas and pricing as we are still a year out and working on bills, credit and location.”– Alicia Monreal-Howard. Source: Google Reviews.
“Very friendly and willing to help in any way needed. DERRICK Rock is who we have been talking with. A great guy really interested in helping in any way.”– Adonia Karterakis-Forgy. Source: Google Reviews.
Clayton Homes is an excellent option for those who want to browse its wide selection of models. They have numerous floor plans at a wide range of prices. You are sure to find a model perfect for your family and your budget.
Washington has reliable prefab and modular home builders. With all these top-class builders in the state, it is clear that Washington is an excellent place to build a prefab home. You can also take a look at the best prefab home builders in Washington’s neighboring states – Idaho and Oregon.