Many homeowners choose to do DIY builds in an effort to build their dream barndominiums without breaking the bank. One of the best ways to reduce expenses is through an affordable barndominium shell. However, finding a reliable yet affordable supplier takes time and exhaustive research. This review will tell you more about Budget Home Kits, one of the most popular suppliers when it comes to affordable barndominium kits.
Table of Contents
Budget Home Kits Overview
Budget Home Kits is a web-based supplier of barndominium kits. Its founders have more than 30 years of experience in the steel building industry. Budget Home Kits claims they’ve been field-testing their innovative designs for over 15 years to give customers the best products. We created a review of this company five years ago, and we feel that it is worth a second look to see if they have new customer offerings.
Products and Services
Let’s take a closer look at the products and services that Budget Home Kits offers.
DIY barndominium kits
Budget Home Kits is a supplier for DIY barndominium builders; this is the only product the company offers. They do not sell pole barn home kits.
Custom design services
Budget Home Kits offers design services if you want to modify any of their existing floor plans to fit your needs. The company’s designers can also develop a custom floor plan from scratch if you are looking to build a fully-customized barndominium.
According to the company’s website, the price of their kits can be as low as $58,990. However, prices are subject to change, so it is best to speak to a company sales representative for more pricing information. Barndominium costs can also change depending on the optional upgrade options you choose. Their website doesn’t offer any information about the pricing of their design services.
“I just wanted to say my experience with Budget Home Kits was overall very pleasant.”– Dave M. Source: Sitejabber
“Either way the people are friendly and helpful all the way even after the sale. When you talk to them what they say is what you get.”– Dan M. Source: Sitejabber
Advantages and Disadvantages
In this section, let’s look at some of the best reasons you should consider this company for your DIY build. We will also look at some disadvantages of choosing Budget Home Kits to know what you are getting into should you choose to work with them.
- Wide variety of floor plans – They offer a wide variety of floor plans for their DIY kits. You can select a floor plan depending on the number of bedrooms you want for your barndominium. What we like about their floor plans is that they are very detailed. You can see the dimensions of each section, so you know precisely what you are getting when you receive your kit.
- They offer garage options – All Budget Home Kits’ DIY kits are upgradeable if you want to include a garage option. These are paid upgrades, so the pricing of your barndominium kit will change if you choose to add a garage. However, this can still help you save money because it is cheaper than building a lean-to or standalone garage. Take note, though, that the layout and configuration of your floor plan will change if you choose to add a garage. This is important, especially if you have a small lot because the new floor plan might not fit on your property.
- They offer upgrades – Aside from the optional garage, Budget Home Kits also offers other upgrades. For example, you can add a full-length six-foot rear porch if you want to. This upgrade is useful since you can use the porch to entertain guests. You can also utilize this as an outdoor dining or living area, especially if you have a fantastic view of the rear of your property. Front porches are not considered upgrades since all their base kits include front porches. Customers can also opt for 9-foot porches if they want to.
- Aside from the rear porch, customers can also opt for steeper roof pitches if they want. The standard roof pitch of Budget Home Kits’ structures is 4:12, but customers can upgrade these to 6:12 or 8:12, depending on their preference.
- Offers discounted kits – Budget Home Kits sells discounted kits from time to time. This is an excellent opportunity if you are working on a tight budget. However, discounted kits are often out of stock, so you need to be patient and wait for the company to replenish its stock. This also means that a discounted kit may be out of the question if you want to build your metal home immediately.
- Provides a pre-order planning package – Budget Home Kits sends customers pre-order planning packages. You can get this package after making a deposit. This is a helpful resource since it guides you through selecting color and upgrade options. It also has comprehensive instructions on how to build your house upon receiving the kit. The package also includes an interior finish cost estimator to help you plan the interiors of your building without going over your allotted budget.
- They deliver anywhere in the country – You can order Budget Home Kits’ products and have them delivered anywhere in the country, including Texas, Florida, and Georgia. This is one of their biggest advantages since some suppliers only deliver to selected areas. If there are no local suppliers in your area or the prices of local suppliers are prohibitive, you might want to check out the Budget Home Kits catalog.
- No physical location – Budget Home Kits is an online shop without a physical location. This can disadvantage some buyers who want to speak to a representative in person. Because the company has no physical location, you also cannot tour a model home.
- Gallery lacks information – Although the company’s gallery has many images of sample builds, it lacks information about the said images. It would have been helpful if the company at least labeled the images and tied them to their floor plans to give customers a better idea of what a floor plan looks like upon completion.
- They don’t offer financing services – Budget Home Kits has no in-house financing services if you plan to apply for barndominium financing. They also don’t have partner financial institutions to help you get a loan. The best thing to do is check local banks and financial institutions to see which ones offer metal building home financing services.
- They only offer barndominium kits – The company concentrates on barndominium kits and gives no indication that they plan to expand their offerings to pole barn homes, pole barns, and other metal buildings.
Should You Choose Budget Home Kits?
Five years since we first reviewed Budget Home Kits, we still believe that it is an excellent choice if you are after a DIY build. Its products are cheap and ideal for customers working on a limited budget. Budget Home Kits also offers discounted kits, although you will have to wait a bit longer because they are often out of stock.
The company offers upgrades and floor plan customization, so you don’t need to limit yourself to their base packages. Budget Home Kits also delivers anywhere in the country, making them an excellent option if other suppliers won’t deliver in your area. Follow our Facebook page for more interesting articles about the pros and cons of metal building homes, shouses, prefab houses, and shipping container homes.